With Windows there is always something that comes out of the blue (well, apparently). Windows XP (Home edition) starts up with this error popup
Which is followed by the apologetic “Device Monitor Application”.
It turns out that “machine.config” file (as the error suggests) is the problem. The “machine.config” can be found on the CONFIG folder located under “%SystemRoot%\microsoft.NEt\framework\v2.0.50727\config”. So:
- Logon as admin
- Go to “c:\windows\microsoft.NEt\framework\v2.0.50727\config” and rename “machine.config” to something like “machine.config.BAD”
- In the same location create a folder called TEMP
- Copy “machine.config.default” from the CONFIG folder to TEMP folder
- Go into TEMP folder and rename “machine.config.default” to “machine.config”
- Copy “machine.config” from TEMP folder back to CONFIG folder
- Restart your machine
Your C00CE556 error should be solved.